Thursday, June 18, 2009

Upper Plains treasure

This year I was attending a regional conference in Nebraska and made a suprising discovery.

Upon walking into this small establishment, my eyes were drawn to the pool area, as usual. Two bar tables and underneath a cover was a huge six legged table -- and what to my prying eyes should appear, but a 10' snooker table! Holy Cow!

I have always heard about small towns in the upper plains having snooker tables tucked away in little bars, almost like the saloon's of old, but I didn't think I would ever see one. The table played exceptionally well and true. No odd rolls or errant bumps. I played a corner to corner shot that was as true as it could be, played at pocket speed on a 10' table. Poetry in motion. The physics of a game I truly enjoy.

So, I took the opportunity to play several games, and started to regain the ease on a snooker table that I had learned while playing in my grandparents basement. My log in and title of this thread all revolve around the perfect run in snooker of 147. A Perfect Game.

No local games were available, so I had to impose upon my colleagues to play and they were wonderfully good sports as the table is unforgiving to even those who are well versed.

What a neat find. I feel a bit heartened, like Americana hasn't let this game escape from it's grasp completely, yet.

No comments: